With wood decaying fungi it may be necessary to use a borate treatment in your home. Why you may ask? Dormant fungi can be reactivated when dry, infected wood is rewetted. Consider treating infected, but otherwise serviceable wood left in place with boron liquid or boron foam that will not only kill active fungi, but also guard against future infection. Borates have low toxicity to humans and are even approved for interior use in food processing plants. Boron doesn’t affect wood’s strength; color, or finishing ability. Boron doesn’t corrode fasteners, and doesn’t outgas vapors. Widely used in treating new timbers for log homes, they’re the preservative of choice for remedial treatment of wood in service. Because of the decay hazard posed whenever wood is in contact with concrete or soil, concentrated diffusible boron is often inserted into holes bored near contact areas.
At Preferred Pest Control & Turf Management, we use Tim-bor Professional’s to spray your sub flooring followed by inspecting to assure that the correct vapor barrier is in place on the ground. Our services are warrantied for up to 10 years. You may have a few more questions in the process below we will go over how our treatment works and some advantages to using Tim-bor Professional products specifically.
How does the treatment work?
Tim-bor Professional’s active ingredient is Di-sodium Octaborate Tetra-hydrate (DOT), a natural borate mineral salt and micro-nutrient. It is manufactured for use in the form of a water-soluble borate powder. Once it’s applied in a liquid form by foaming, misting or spraying onto wood or other cellulosic materials, the borate active ingredient creates a protective envelope and remains for years of protection. Often Tim-bor Professional is dusted into places like wall voids where pests like to hide as an additional protection. When the dust gets on the insects, they clean themselves and consume the boron during the cleaning process.
What are the advantages to this particular product?
- Water-soluble borate powder for use as a dust, liquid or foam.
- Active ingredient is a borate: Di-sodium Octaborate Tetra-hydrate
- Prevents and controls dry-wood termites, wood decay fungi, carpenter ants, old house borers and powder post beetles.
- Won’t discolor or stain wood surfaces.
- Won’t corrode screws, nails and other components used in construction.
- Spec Tim-bor Professional for wood treatment in conjunction with other subterranean termite treatments, such as a termite bait application or a soil treatment (not labeled as a primary new construction termite treatment).
- Spec Tim-bor Professional for whole house dry-wood termite control.
- Can be specified for use as a replacement for fumigation or as an add-on to fumigation to provide residual protection.
- Highly effective & economical.
- Virtually odorless.
- For interior and exterior use.
- Manufactured with a concern for the environment.