With fall approaching, like lady bugs, you may start to see a less attractive insect starting to take shelter in your home, stink bugs. Here are some tips to prevent them from using your house as a winter retreat.
1. Seal off entry points. You may want to spend some time inspecting the outside of your home for easy access points. Pay close attention to areas including siding and utility pipes, behind chimneys, and underneath the wood fascia or other openings. To seal cracks or holes found in the exterior you can use a silicone or a silicon-latex caulk.
2. Replace and repair damaged screens on windows or doors. Also, check your weather-stripping and look for loose mortar.
3. Turn off the lights. Stink bugs, like many insects, are attracted to lights, so keeping outdoor light usage to a minimum and closing blinds may help to deter them.
4. Reduce moisture sites. Eliminating all moisture build up around your home can not only prevent fungi from moisture build up, but also stop many pest infestations. Check for leaking pipes and clogged drains.
5. Eliminate food sources. Another method is to remove their access of food. Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles. Also, make sure you wipe down counters and sweep floors to eliminate crumbs and residue from spills.
6. Ventilate. Properly ventilate basements, attics, garages and crawl spaces to eliminate harbor-age points. Consider using a dehumidifier in these areas. Also, make sure to install screens over your chimney and attic vents. Again, these measures may multi-task against other pets as well as damage from moisture build up to your home.
7. Check your belongings. Inspect items such as boxes from other storage areas, purses, backpacks, and grocery bags before bringing them indoors. Stink bugs can travel on these items and make themselves cozy once inside the home.
8. Properly landscape. Keep branches and shrubbery well trimmed. In addition, make sure to store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and five inches off the ground.